Senior Policy Associate – Climate Finance Value and Impact
Job Opportunity with CGD Europe
Job Title: Senior Policy Associate – Climate Finance Value and Impact
Location: London, UK
Salary from: £56,175 - £60,000 per annum depending on experience
First date of posting: 4 November 2022
Closing date: 12 December 2022 @ 5:30 pm GMT
CGD Europe, an independent, non-partisan research organization in Washington, DC and London, UK seeks a full or part-time Senior Policy Associate for its climate finance initiative. The role will take forward high-quality, policy-relevant research and analysis on the volume, effectiveness and value for money of climate finance provided by international agencies. The post-holder will develop networks with policy-makers and researchers to enhance the quality and impact of CGDE’s work. The successful candidate will also have the opportunity undertake research and analysis in related areas including: UK development policy; assessing domestic policies’ coherence with development; and the effectiveness of multilateral finance.
With development agencies and multilateral institutions increasingly focusing on climate goals, there is a growing need for evidence on how finance can best achieve climate and development outcomes. This role will address that need, considering: the value and impact of climate finance projects in adaptation and mitigation; synergies or trade-offs with other development activities; how well activities align with principles of aid effectiveness; and the coherence with wider policies, including the role of private finance.
The successful candidate will have strong research and analytical skills with evidence of undertaking policy-relevant research and analysis of issues in climate and finance. The position will be for 2 years subject to funding, with the possibility of extension.
The post-holder will report to Ian Mitchell, co-Director for CGDE’s Europe program, who is also leading on CGD’s climate finance work; and will have the opportunity to work with other senior fellows and researchers in the Europe and Sustainable Development Finance programmes.
Senior Policy Associate Responsibilities:
- Support a program of original research and analysis in climate finance value, effectiveness and coherence
- Build and maintain relationships with key partners, including scholars, policymakers, and funders and
- Represent CGDE through participation in conferences, private meetings, and other public events
- Mentor and share responsibility for the professional development of associate staff
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Notable professional experience in policy, academic or analytical roles covering issues in climate, finance and development
- Experience within lower-income country governments, official development agencies or international financial institutions.
- Master’s degree in a related field including but not limited to economics, climate, international development or finance
- Competence and experience conducting quantitative and qualitative research
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to be a team player and to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, all while maintaining a good sense of humor
To apply: Applicants should submit a CV and a covering letter (max 2 sides) and writing sample, via CGD’s website.
Staff have started to return to the office and it is the expectation that the successful candidate will be within commutable distance to the offices based in SW1. The successful candidate will need to be in the office a minimum of two days a week.
We are committed to attracting and maintaining a diverse and dedicated workforce. CGD Europe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.