Research Assistant – Financial Regulation and Latin America
The Center for Global Development, an independent, non-partisan research organization in Washington, DC seeks a Research Assistant to support the work of a Senior Fellow in the areas of financial regulation, financial inclusion and international macroeconomics, especially in Latin America. The successful candidate will have experience with research in Economics and demonstrate outstanding analytical, quantitative, writing and communication skills. The position is well-suited for those who are considering doctoral studies.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Fellow, the successful candidate will perform a range of project research, policy analysis and other duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Conduct statistical analyses and econometric modeling using Stata, Excel, and other software tools, and prepare tables and graphs to convey those results.
- Conduct literature and data searches for ongoing research projects. Potential areas of focus include financial regulation, financial inclusion and international macroeconomics. Emerging Market Economies, particularly Latin America, is a potential regional focus area.
- Provide other research, writing and editing support for various reports, documents and others.
- Organize and attend meetings/conferences related to research priorities.
- Perform other duties as necessary in support of the Senior Fellow.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Undergraduate degree in Economics or a related field; advanced degree is preferred but not required.
- Training in econometrics and international/development economics, and experience in applying econometrics are required.
- Required software skills: Stata for descriptive and econometric analysis of cross-section and panel data. Also, overall proficiency Microsoft Office is expected.
- Outstanding communication and writing skills in English and Spanish are required.
- Confidence and can-do attitude; ability to advance projects with hands-off supervision.
- Comfort working independently, with small groups and interacting with senior staff.
- Good humor and collegiality are essential.
A competitive compensation package including full benefits is offered. The starting salary for this position is $50,000.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume.
Due to the pandemic our organization is working hybrid with all staff required to be in the office two days per week. CGD is registered to employ staff living in DC, Maryland, or Virginia. Candidates who cannot relocate to the area, even while the office remains closed, cannot be considered at this time.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document upon hire.
CGD celebrates fostering a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, parental status, or veteran status.