Policy Outreach Assistant - DC
The Center for Global Development, an independent, non-partisan research organization in Washington, DC, is seeking a policy outreach assistant to support CGD's policy engagement with the US Congress, Executive Branch, NGOs, and others in the development policy community.
This position will support work across the organization to increase the policy impact of CGD research, building relationships with external stakeholders, identifying opportunities to inform active policy debates, and helping to create polished briefing materials. This unique opportunity involves working alongside researchers and policy professionals in an atmosphere that requires the initiative to tackle tough, unstructured problems. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with task ambiguity and thinking creatively about both policy and institutional issues.
• Support outreach and advocacy efforts to institutions, policymakers, and their staff.
• Track relevant legislation, hearings, and initiatives, as well as the annual budget and appropriations process; identify opportunities to strengthen policy analysis and outreach in one or more of CGD’s areas of focus.
• Perform tasks requiring independent judgment and analysis, including drafting policy briefs, blogs, and external emails, under the direction of the Director for Policy Outreach.
• Organize events, including setting agendas and preparing materials.
• Develop relevant partnerships to amplify the work of the Center.
• Contribute to the drafting of communications and reports to funders and supporters.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
• A bachelor’s degree in economics, international development, political science, or a related field.
• Knowledge of and experience working with US government and policy institutions preferred.
• Excellent written and spoken English.
• Outstanding organization skills and attention to detail; proven ability to advance projects with hands-off supervision while being accountable for the accuracy of outputs.
• Poise, confidence, and ability to communicate effectively and professionally with senior officials and other influential individuals.
• Familiarity with and interest in development finance, international financial institutions, global health, refugee policy, and/or the US Congress is a plus.
• Experience with MS Excel, Salesforce Lightning, and interactive data visualization appreciated.
The salary for this position is $52,250.
CGD offers a work environment that is collegial, rewarding, and rich with opportunities for intellectual and professional growth. The compensation package includes a highly competitive salary, generous paid time off, a robust benefits package with a modest employee contribution, a 15% employer contribution to retirement after one year of service, commuter benefits, and more.
Our organization is working hybrid with all staff required to be in the office two days per week. CGD is registered to employ staff living in DC, Maryland, or Virginia. Candidates who cannot relocate to the area at the time of employment, cannot be considered at this time.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document upon hire. CGD is unable to sponsor work authorization for this position.
CGD/E is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and celebrates fostering a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive work environment. All persons will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, parental status, veteran status, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation shall have equal access to positions, limited only by their ability to do the job.